Friday 26 July 2013

I Think It Might Have Been Raining


  • I woke up early the next morning,
    before time had been switched on, the hours still
    sleeping in my watch. Things weren't quite ready
    to happen chronologically.
    At some point, I was downstairs
    with a mug half-full of coffee.
    I was looking out the window, taking small sips of
    caffeine and sky and milk. I wasn't quite sober
    enough yet to tell the difference.
    But I could tell the difference between
    glass and water, when they exploded
    on the kitchen floor.
    I remember my socks were soaked through.
    I was sitting by the radiator, even though
    it wasn't on, still wrapped in a coat
    that was wetter than I was.
    And I definitely stumbled out of bed
    on feet that didn't feel like my own,
    trying to ignore a headache while
    opening the curtains in search of sunrise.
    I didn't find it. But I did find two Paracodol
    in the cupboard above the cooker
    so I decided they'd do for now; I dropped them
    in water, watched it eat away at them like acid.
    And I found a broom to sweep them up
    when they fell from my grasp.
    Then I remember standing in the hallway,
    deciding not to wear shoes in case I
    tripped over the laces.
    I didn't want to trip:
    when I walked downstairs, I hugged the banisters
    for balance, and closed my eyes
    so I could let myself believe that they were human.
    Because my arms wouldn't believe anything else,
    and my legs wouldn't move
    if they knew there was no-one there to catch them
    if they missed a step.
    I know I ended up in bed, pulling the sheets
    back over me, resting wet hair on a damp
    pillow, trying to work out
    if I was feeling lonely.
    But somewhere before that,
    I was outside, before the sky had been filled in.
    It was just the right shade of empty. I still wanted
    the sun to burn it down, but it could wait.
    I remember I listened to birdsong for a long time.
    And I think it might have been raining.


    By David Carey - Many thanks to David for letting me share this with you guys. I don't own any of the rights or anything (and he wrote it, obviously) but I thought it was so good that more people should read it.

    And now you have :)

No comments:

Post a Comment