Thursday 25 July 2013

OK, Now Let Me Explain This Too....

I know many of you (or not, it was probably just Lizzie) read my post pondering Hipsters the other week and I had several people (OK, that was just Lizzie. And then Chris, because he's mean) feedback saying that I came across as a hipster in the post.

This wasn't the point of the post.
And I will defend myself as the most unhipstery person in the world.
(See Lizzie, you made me paranoid now)

Hipsters choose to "like" things because they're unpopular or not particularly well known. I have never done this; I like things because they're good (or funny at least) and because I LIKE THEM, which was the whole point of my post. You should choose to like things which conform to the standards you set internally which make something good in your opinion, rather than those set externally by other people.

Wow, now I sound really weird.

My previous post mentioned several bands which aren't well known because I was proving that it shouldn't matter who you like. As long as you like them for the right reason and not to prove a point, you can like whatever you want. It's a free country!

2 comments:

  1. Well, according to Wikipedia, to be an atheist is sometimes seen as a sign of being a hipster, in that case I would fall into that category :P

    I think hipster culture is a symptom of a constant desire to rebel against society and commonly believed social norms, and I don't think it's a problem as long as people truly people in what they're doing and are not just acting a part to be aggravating to others.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point and I agree, rebellion is something some people feel the need to do, but in my opinion it's not a reason for liking something. If you like something and it leads to rebellion, then good for you! But if you only listen to/wear/do something to aggravate everyone else, then that's not a good enough reason, in my opinion.

      Furthermore, what's the point in rebelling openly against the culture of your own generation? Surely if it bothers you that much it would be better to educate your peers and try to affect what's popular with them?

      I suppose one of the things that annoys me about hipsters is that they don't want what they like to be popular; if I like something, I'll drive my friends and family mad with it and I don't understand why you wouldn't at least want more popularity for, for example, a band you like.

      Delete