Wednesday 10 July 2013

Drinkies With Bernard...?

So, as you've no doubt seen from my last post, my week has been manic. But today I've been pondering why I'll miss the Concert Band so much; I mean, I go along every week and lug the bari with me. Then when I get there I get laughed at by other players, ignored by Mr Bean and angry with myself for not being better at what I do.

It's not even that hard. Especially the bari part.

And seriously, Mr Bean doesn't actually acknowledge my existence about 98% of the time. Not that I want him to turn up every week, make a beeline for me and start to talk to me like an old friend, but during rehearsals, it would be nice if I was classed as an instrument. Most of the time, I'm actually a trombone or a euphonium, occasionally I'm a saxophone and very rarely I'm just a bass, but most of the time I'm just not mentioned when he asks the part I play to practice a particular bar.

But I've been thinking, I'm really going to miss that band next year; they may be insufferable idiots at times, but they're my insufferable idiots. Even though I am quite possible the most dispensible person in the band, and everyone knows it, it's been a big part of my life to turn up for an hour and a half every Monday to sit there next to Hannah, bored out of my brains. Any other band that I'm ever in, no matter how mind-numbingly boring and tedious, will never quite be as fun without being fun, if you know what I mean. Which you probably don't.

At Concert Band, there was always the potential for a laugh, whether it be at the expense of Ben, Mr Bean or the entire percussion section. Like the time Mr Bean was losing his voice and every time he said the number "three" (which was quite a lot) he sounded like a creaky door. Or when Mr Bean spent ten minutes lecturing whoever was drumming about a rhythm which should've gone "rum dum dugga dugga dum!" but didn't. Or a couple of weeks ago when Mr Bean asked the band which famous piece of music was famous for the particular cadence we were playing and Ashley answered "Dynamite by Taio Cruz."

Nothing will be quite the same as the time we had the conversations with the rest of the band out of the windows at the back of the hotel on tour either. We must've spent about an hour with our heads out of various windows shouting the odds at each other because the teachers were patrolling the corridors. That was an excellent evening, although probably not for the teacher who found us...

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm going to miss all these people, although why I have no idea. It's not perfect, but it's my band. And I'll miss them. Especially my girls (and Seb.)

No comments:

Post a Comment