Tuesday 15 May 2012

Sexism

I have been feeling self-righteous today and pondering why men feel we're worse at everything than they are. Today I have seen at least six television adverts about how weak and pathetic women are and it's beginning to annoy me; any of you who know me at all will know that I don't take kindly to sexism against either men or women, especially if it's not meant as a joke, clearly.

I can take a joke by the way, I'm not a complete stick in the mud. Although when Andrew's involved I always pretend to be pissed because it means I always have him at my mercy...

I guess most of you have seen the recent internet and newspaper campaign in which the woman found a label in her husband's jeans saying something like "Washing Instructions: get your woman to do it, it's her job!" Now, if that had been a jokey advertising campaign, such as that used by McCoys crisps or Yorkie bar, which actually encourages women to buy it because they feel "rebellious" or whatever (personally I buy them because they're nice) it'd be fine, I have no problem with that. But hidden inside a pair of jeans? That's got to be a serious message, surely?

Anyway, what I'm saying is that sexism isn't really "fine" but there are clearly some forms we are willing to overlook, such as humour and flattery ("You're a guy, you must be big and strong" etc.) and I have no plans to turn into a raving feminist like Mackers, but come on people, think before you take the p-hizzle.

Thankee

No comments:

Post a Comment